What is ISO 14001 and how can it benefit your business?
ISO 14001 is a set of criteria for an organisation to utilise when establishing an Environmental Management System (EMS). It doesn’t specifically state requirements for environmental performance, but sets out framework for organisations to establish and implement an EMS.
An ISO 14001 EMS can aid businesses in increasing efficiencies when it comes to resource management by reducing waste.
What changes are being made to ISO 14001?
Changes are made every five years to the ISO 14001 to ensure that it is effective and is relevant with the times.
The 2015 edition was changed in September and included changes to the following,
- Increased prominence of environmental management within the organization's strategic planning processes
- Greater focus on leadership
- Addition of proactive initiatives to protect the environment from harm and degradation, such as sustainable resource use and climate change mitigation
- Improving environmental performance added
- Lifecycle thinking when considering environmental aspects
- Addition of a communications strategy
Organisations are granted a three year transition period from existing systems. If you have updated your system over that period talk to us about how we can help you!
How can your business gain accreditation?
Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance (LRQA) is the world's leading provider of independent assessment services including certification. When it comes to ISO 14001 we have got you covered. Our unique methodology, LRQA Business Assurance, turns assessment into a powerful management tool to improve and protect performance. By understanding what really matters to your organisation and stakeholders, we help you improve your management system and your business in relation to food supply chain sustainability at the same time.
ISO 14001 benefits with LRQA
LRQA is accredited to issue certificates to the ISO 14001 standard throughout all sectors and has been involved in its technical development. This means that whatever your line of business, we have been recognised as having the capability and knowledge in providing an effective service.
Our unique methodology helps you manage your business challenges, systems and risks to improve and protect your current and future environmental performance and meet your stakeholders’ needs.
- Our in-depth understanding and the technical expertise of our assessors enables us to deliver tangible benefits to our clients through a structured project management approach.
- We know that good communication is pivotal in delivering transparency through every step of the EMS process. We work with our clients and set clear expectations to all parties on deliverables.
- LRQA Business Assurance delivers both certification and training services to ISO 14001.